View Single Post
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
News

Google (officially) ended support for version 2 of the YouTube API on 20/04/2015. However, it still seems to be working, for now. Regardless, I'm currently re-writing cuteTube to use the QYouTube, QDailymotion and QVimeo shared libraries that I wrote recently (devel releases are buggy, but the bugs have since been fixed in git).

The new version will have some feature changes.

Features added:
  • Supported services can be extended by plugins.
  • View items in grid mode or list mode.
  • More 'desktop-ish' UI with less empty space.
  • Video format can be chosen for each individual download.
  • Downloads can be categorised.

Features removed:
  • Comments, as these are not supported in YouTube API v3.
  • Built-in social/sharing features, as cuteTube will use platform sharing features in future, and I want to kill my social network accounts with fire.
  • Archive, as downloads can now be categorised.

Plugins

Plugins are defined using a config file (in INI format, similar to a .desktop file), and an optional settings file (in XML format). The config file provides an 'Exec' key, which is used to call the plugin. The plugin works by writing output to stdout in JSON format, so a plugin can be written using any method you prefer (e.g. shell script, Python script or binary).

I will provide an exact plugin specification when the new version is published.

There are some early screenshots of the Maemo5 version at http://marxoft.co.uk/news/?post=1429713801

My website

GitHub

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post: