View Single Post
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I do have N900 but the HW is fairly dated. Nice device but lacking memory/cpu/connections. And yes, I am waiting for Neo900 which adresses these problems.
Jolla is just as hackable as N900 is. And it is a natural evolution on the same principles.

BTW you still did not define the "modern apps" I asked about.

You delibrately misquote/misunderstand me.

Okay, I'll bite the bullet you throw to me; "There is no need for Facebook or Twitter" <--- You can quote me on that.
I use neither and see no value in them.

You really really have not thought this through. I am not saying UI does not matter, I am saying that in addition to UI the important thing is to have the device be extendible/customizable to the point that you can easily automate tasks, that you do not need to rely on functionality decided by manufacturers and application vendors.
Look, it is not just about swipes; WP has swipes of it's kind but it is not extendible!

When you talk about "console" you seem to think that means using the console to launch functionality... When I talk about "console" I mean the whole works; functionality that does not need any UI to be useful;
Just some examples;
  • automatically immediately uploading any pictures I take to my gallery online
  • recording all my calls
  • backing the device up each night
  • setting device mode based on the location I am currently
  • tracking my location and updating that to my private online route map

Of course android has shell console; however what makes it difficult to use is the fact that even as the kernel domain is linux the userspace is not libc-compatible and thus you have really hard time using the standard toolchain. It is just not meant to be used like that.
You talk about there being more open and hackable roms, but the fact remains that they still have the same bionic-induced problems as any android derivatives. The only one real alternative is SFOS I am afraid.
So basically you are telling me that most people would need and prefer smartphone to compile kernel on it rather than having device using various services that ease your everyday life?