View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
The whole point is to have something small and mobile (in a pocket) that can replace it (maybe not fully, but that's why we still have laptops and even desktops)
Yes, I do want a pocket-sized device that can fully replace a standard desktop computing machine. A full-size keyboard and monitor will never be conveniently portable; but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to connect a full-size keyboard and monitor to your portable device, when you have them available.

My N900 runs the exact same code editing environment as I use normally on my standard desktop machines, allowing me to transition from desktop to mobile use seamlessly. But it was probably the last handheld device created that actually encourages you to use standard desktop software on it; everything else today has gone to rather incredible lengths to stop you from running anything that hasn't been designed and built specifically for that hardware's brand and operating system.

It's all about tying you to an "ecosystem". Apple and Google want to lock you into their ecosystem. Heck, even the folks on this board continually agonize over the Nokia ecosystem and the Jolla ecosystem. Personally, I don't give a flying fig about these "ecosystems"! I've got my own set of software, programs that I've been using for over 20 years now; I don't really care what kind of "apps" are running on a particular device, so long as I can run my own software on it...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: