View Single Post
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
USB-OTG is a glorious thing. I've recently been hooking up all sorts of odd peripherals to my HTC phone (and to my brother's tablet). One really cool one was an ancient barcode laser-scanner; worked the instant it was plugged in, no drivers required...

Why wouldn't you want to properly manage any sort of peripheral from a portable computing device? It drives me nuts that people have sort of accepted the notion that "Hey, it's tiny! So of course it can't do all the same things a normal computer can do..."
okay, so you got your mobile device in your coat or jeans pocket, an USB cable in your backpack (i always have one for the ~4 Ah battery i carry with me...) and...
in which pocket do you put
  • the printer?
  • the scanner maybe?
  • the OCR? (maybe it fits in the backpack?)
    (btw, did you see OCR on jolla ?)
  • and what not (?)

i have a powerful enough laptop at home
Code:
m6500-x940:/ # uname -a
Linux m6500-x940 3.16.7-21-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 14 07:11:37 UTC 2015 (93c1539) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
plenty of space for the all-in-one and a couple external (USB or eSATA) disks but... why on earth would i want to connect any of those to my mobiles?
waiting warily on my TOHKBD2 (again, not because of the TOHKBD2 but because of the lousy sailfishOS )
i even have a Moto Photon Q (with slide-out QWERTY keyboard)
am i going to drop my laptop for those?
what do you think?

so yeah, sure, especially with the N900 and Fremantle it was fun to go in the terminal and use it like a pocket Linux computer but
  • Android?
  • Jolla?
sorry, not there yet, far from it...
if Jolla doesn't **** it up completely the TOHKBD2 might bring the Jolla a little closer, but... i'm sceptical

PS: the one device i might consider a replacement for the N900 (apart of the Neo900 which is alas far too expensive for the use i would have for it) would be the xt897 (Photon Q) with Fremantle...
can dream right?