View Single Post
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
I've generaly really like my Jolla phone. I still use it like as my only phone. But I don't really see much future for Jolla. The biggest problem is that it is just too late. Too, too, too and the some too late. The whole smartphone market has allready been 'solved'. Few years ago in fact.

Jolla has just about as much hope as anyone trying to break into into the car market as a new mainstream car brand. Its no going to happen. Its Android for most of the people, Apple for the rest. Thats it. Maybe few years ago it would have been possible. People just don't find phones exiting enough anymore to try anything new. The whole thing is settled by now.

I guess maemonians might object with whatever open source/free software/whatever idealism, but that won't work either. Just look the last 20+ years of Linux trying to be something at the consumer market with nothing to show for it (and no, Android doesn't count as Linux).

Again, Im still happy with my phone. Overly optimisticly hoping that there would be a follow up, but I don't see one coming. At best, there might be something coming from Jolla's immoral partnership with the russian goverment, but I don't see that going anywhere either. And even if it sold few copies in russia, it would still crash once the russian peasants finally get sick enough with all the looting of national wealth, corruption, lies, propaganda and wars that come with Putin's rule and all western busineses (like Jolla) that made deals with the blood thristy bastard.

Homogenization opens up chances for differentiation, tho.
Of course, we have seen this already with Symbian; but the nature of the problem was different (hardware AND software wise, at a technical level), which accounted for a fast and global rise of competitors (iphone, and then android).
But still , there are ways in which the Jolla phone *is* actually differentiating from the rest; the problem for Jolla to solve, IMO, is to find a way to make money out of it The Intex Partnership is one example of this. If Jolla plays their cards well, they might have a chance. The problem tho, is that there are quite alot of if's in here...

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post: