View Single Post
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lemmy View Post
But she's used to a computer being versatile, adapting to a person's needs. The IT doesn't.
I tend to agree with most of your other comments (in spirit, anyway-- I think they drift a little too far to an extreme), but I don't get that remark. The tablets, not versatile??? I guess I need to see a more detailed explanation of why you say that. On this very forum I see so many examples of versatility and adaptation it makes my head spin. True, many are originated by and aimed at hardcore geeks, but given time they can and will make the mainstream. We've already seen that happen.

So many complain about what Nokia left out, without ever considering that maybe, just maybe, you can easily replace "tablet" with the Latin "tabula rasa" and get a really good idea of what's been going on since the 770. Nokia has acknowledged that the tablets are on a 5-step, i.e., evolutionary program. The pain of this is also the beauty: USERS are being challenged to identify the missing pieces, ergo they are defining and guiding the growth of the platform. How often do you see this in devices? As opposed to some company foistering closed, narrowly-defined products on consumers?

YOU guys are dictating the future of the tablets. YOU have been given an opportunity that for the most part just does not exist in conventional Research & Development: you are live participants, whose experiences and suggestions are taken into account and plowed into further development. Those who scoff and say they don't see it must be oblivious to the obvious... just lay a 770, N800 and N810 out in a row and it becomes apparent. Or look at OS2005, OS2006, OS2007 and now OS2008-- once again, hard to deny what's been happening. And yet that important aspect is too often overlooked by reviewers who miss the scope and focus on what isn't there. How ironic.

Anyway, the tablets aren't really specific to geeks; rather, they're aimed at people who want to be involved in a new platform's development. That isn't limited to techies... it takes artists, marketeers, writers... dreamers of all kinds. What's really missing is an enlightened grasp of that by the community at large. A few individuals here and there Get It, but for the most part others do not. There is where Nokia's challenge really lies IMO: educating the next generation of consumers, who will eagerly and happily participate, even unpaid, in a platform's R&D.

But just wait. Those who think Nokia has not been listening are in for some really big surprises.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-02-27 at 15:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: