View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Setok View Post
As mentioned, a mere Solu app will not suffice. It's not just the limitations on AppStore/Play etc, we do actually go down into the kernel level to make this whole model work.
Honestly, this makes me worry about the model. You're basically trying to introduce a new operating system here, and you're following Apple's model for that -- the Solu OS only works on Solu computers. But I just can't see you guys managing to entice lots of Apple-style consumers; Apple has already pushed hard to get cloud support throughout their OS and into their major apps. And the Apple user experience is second to none.

I'm just not sure that you'll get enough benefit out of that kernel-level support to convince users to give up _both_ their existing desktop environment and their existing mobile environment. And the Solu is not a phone! Each time a Solu user makes a call on their smartphone, they'll be getting lured away from the Solu environment and into a different one...

Technically we could provide a complete OS that you could install to replace, for instance, OS X, but then we would need to be very conscious about the many different hardwares we would have to support and, also, this would cut out most of the people out there who would never even think of installing a new OS on their machines. There is a strong psychological link between the hardware and OS.
It isn't just a psychological link -- there is of course a very physical link between the hardware and the OS. But yeah, this is where I now point to Jolla. They've already done the hard work to create a beautiful mobile UI, but they've placed it on top of a hardware-agnostic (and substantially open-source) underlying operating system. People have been porting Sailfish to all sorts of hardware (I am personally quite interested in the Raspberry Pi port), which, yes, is very "geeky"; however, this serves both to create additional interest in the OS, as well as making it that much easier for established manufacturers (such as Intex) to port the OS to their own machines.

Solu is a great piece of hardware that you can connect to many kinds of displays out there. You get a guaranteed good experience. You can use it on the go as a mobile device. It's beautiful and made in Finland, and actually pretty inexpensive for what you are getting. I think it's a pretty good offer :-)
Oh, absolutely, I agree hands-down that the Solu device is beautiful. I also personally favor devices that can be used both as a mobile device and a desktop device.

But is it really a good offer? As I understand it, the only software I can run on Solu is the software provided by Solu: I'm not going to have access to any of the programs I've already spent time and effort learning how to use. All the data I can run on Solu will be hosted by Solu: I'm not entirely certain I want my personal photo collection somewhere in the cloud, or my sensitive business documents, regardless of how seriously Solu takes security. The only processor hardware I can use is provided by Solu: All my existing PCs, phones, and tablets are completely unusable in the Solu world.

It's a beautiful little box, but it takes the existing "walled garden ecosystem" already in place in the mobile device world and extends it to every facet of my life. That involves a cost that goes beyond just the purchase price and monthly fee; and I honestly don't know whether it really is a good offer when I take that into account...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: