View Single Post
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Losses in 2013 of $21 Million USD
Cashflow negative
Canonical IPO... still delayed.
Ubuntu Touch sales... 25k (unofficially)

If you said RedHat, I'd agree. Canonical is still losing more money than gaining.
Mark Shuttleworth has said Canonical could be a much more profitable company by just focussing on their servers (as used by Amazon, Netflix and Uber) and dropping desktop/mobile/IoT but he has a vision he wants to pursue. I think he's got balls, I hope it pays off for him.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There's other pointers that the demand for Ubuntu Touch is rather low compared to even the Tizen phones.
This is what Mark Shuttleworth said earlier this month:

"I think that it's important we carefully shape the emergence of Ubuntu so that it goes to people who are going to love it and contribute to it and be part of the ecosystem. I think it would be a mistake for us to try to go too fast because if we put it in the hands of people who don't care about Ubuntu and don't want to be part of it, right now they would be disappointed, we would be disappointed and the whole thing would be a mess."

I think once Ubuntu Touch is ready for the mainstream Canonical's success in servers will give them a credibility with manufacturers that maybe Jolla didn't enjoy.

As for Tizen, hasn't it done better than expected in the few markets it's been released? I've heard it performs considerably better than Android on equivalent hardware. I also like the fact Tizen's native API is plain C and I believe they're working on an automated bindings generator too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post: