View Single Post
Originally Posted by att View Post
Translation of HS article in English:

Jolla has not been able to deliver pre-paid devices to customers - 12 000 tablets paid, deliveries on hold
Finance 21.11.2015 22:01 Updated: 22.11.2015 11:10

Jukka Perttu
Helsingin sanomat

Caption: Jolla's Marc Dillon presented the company's tablet in Slush in November 2014.

The software company Jolla which has announced on applying for corporate restructuring has not been able to deliver already customer paid tablets, or tablet computers, on the schedule. Now deliveries are completely on hold, says the communications director Juhani Lassila.

The company has received a ferocious amount of calls as the people who have paid for the device are asking, at what stage they are in the delivery queue.

Jolla has received orders and prepayments for 12 000 tablets, of which a small batch was delivered last month, says Lassila.

Corporate restructuring of Jolla was announced on Friday. The company plans to temporarily lay off a large part of its workforce.

The company gathered orders and advance payments, about a year ago and in February-March of this year, for a total of 10 000 devices. In these campaigns the upfront payments were collected by appying a crowdfunding principle, Lassila says. In addition, this fall Jolla took orders and advance payments for a few thousand tablets.

The company still accepted upfront payments in the autumn, because outlook was that it was possible to start deliveries in a larger extent, Lassila says.

However, according to him, the situation changed when it appeared that the supplier of displays for the devices had to be replaced due to technical reasons. In addition the availability of funding was delayed in November.

Lassila says the company's goal is still to continue the deliveries of the ordered and paid tablets. The delivery for the second batch of devices has been prepared, but the company is unable to provide a schedule for it.

The company is hoping that it would be able to arrange additional funding in December. Also Jolla has to be able to successfully agree on issues with an equipment manufacturer.

Jolla was founded four years ago. The company has been developing its own Sailfish OS operating system, which is based on Meego, used earlier by Nokia. Jolla is not an equipment manufacturer so its goal is to license Sailfish. In addition to the pre-sold tablet Jolla has sold smartphones using Sailfish.

According to the company it has many small and large customers who are interested in using Sailfish.

Jolla has told temporarily to lay off a large part of its workforce and that its money has run out.

Correction 22.11.2015 at 11.10: Displays were not replaced to be larger, but the manufacturer of the displays was changed to another one.

I was one of the first 200 to pledge money over well over a year ago, I've received nothing. I was told to expect my tablet this month, it's now the 22nd and I have no word of shipping and nothing expected. I think that I will just have to eat the costs. I am not angry, I believe in what they were trying to do, but the phone was **** to be fair, although the tablet looked great a year ago, it looks heavy and a bit lacking now as it's been delayed so long. It's a pity, but unless MS can make a dent with the rumoured Surface Phone it's a duopoly from here on out.