View Single Post
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
His attachment and love for his N900 is something you don't see very often in technology. It's not the kind of deluded fandom you see in some other circles, but more of a "I know this device is outdated and slow and that the software isn't very modern, but it works for me". Talk to any current N900 user, and you'll get the same vibe.
There is more to the N900 than just familiarity.

From a user perspective I have moved from finding the N900 slow , incomplete (step 4 out of 5 by Nokia PR) to accepting that the N900 is one of the most complete and performant (in terms of productivity) systems I will ever own.

I used to overclock my N900 in 2010 and now in 2015 I can accept its slowness. Why? Because I relalise this device is providing me with user convenience features that I will never be granted by any other mobile phone.
I used to embarrassed to have a black "brick sized" phone in 2010 , now I find it cute and very comfortable to hold.

The sum of the parts that make it great is made 50% by hardware features that only few companies would dare to support nowadays.

The software may be outdated in terms of security updates and browser support but only this morning I was watching the photo gallery kinetic scrolling conditioning in the minimized gallery icon on my N900..

That is so beautiful that somebody in 2009 decided that this device needed to have all that aboard to present the future that would sadly never unroll.

Last night I tried to watch a Youtube video on Android tablet about global politics going bad and was greeted with an un-skipable pub for some war-domination-game at the end.
Just the trigger what I needed to uninstall the Youtube application in frustration and pick up my N900 to conveniently watch movies with the CuteTube application.
The N900 takes me serious and has some serenity over it, it does not try to rape my mind. It does not force me to app stores that do turn my stomach with "editor's picks for you" .

Sometimes you need to try the N900 to see what you have been missing.

Now that my days of trying to promote Jolla are coming to a close, I will be moving my primary sim back to the N900.

Will be missing the battery life when online, Here maps (Android), Firefox (Android) , Jockr (native Flickr client), Calculator (native Jolla) and the more convenient virtual keyboard on Jolla.
I'd say Quasar MX (native music) but I never found the sound rendition of the Jolla pleasing enough compared to the same application on the Nokia 808.

I am not using email , social networking applications on my phone, so that makes my review very subjective compared what people do with the mobile phones.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: