View Single Post
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
That said, we cannot really compete with a full-time employee working on it. "Rewriting" it back from their version should be considered an option. For me at least it looks easier than writing a store UI.
If you look at the commit times of RockWork you'll notice that all of them are late night, mostly weekends. RockWork is really a spare time project. That said, how did this become about competition? I've intentionally made the platform integration very sparated from the rest of the code.

Actually in the beginning I started off trying to port the sailfish pebble directly, but then, all the SFOS specific parts were deeply integrated all over the place. After the 100th #ifdef I gave up and started from scratch, trying to avoid this mistake.

EDIT: Also, writing the store UI is super simple, that's a matter of an afternoon or so. Maintaining a WebView with all the hacks that integrates with the pebble store website is IMO *much* more hard work.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
They also removed support for the pre-3.0 firmware on the original models, btw.

Sadly no, their "documentation"/implementation is far from complete. Like every other smartwatch, I had to sniff their protocol out, otherwise I still wouldn't know how to upload a binary. Almost nothing of BlobDB is documented there.

The best source for documentation at this point is pebbled, and the fact that Ubuntu guys decided to rip it off entirely and even Pebble employees themselves are using parts of it now should be kind of proof...
Yes, pebbled has been a pleasure to "rip off". At this point there is nothing useful for me in it any more, especially since support for watch firmware >= 3.0 is quite poor. Anyhow, the offer still stands, I'd be happy to accept a SFOS backend in RockWork.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mzanetti For This Useful Post: