View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Oh, I certainly enjoy the products that were created under Stallman's leadership. But I also enjoy the works of Torvalds, as well as those produced at Berkeley, MIT, Bell Labs, and many other places. All these folks have had a hand in producing the modern crop of Unix or Unix-like operating systems; and make no mistake, whether or not actual code has propagated between various versions of Unix, all of them have influenced each other significantly.

I simply find the efforts of one man to try and control the world of open source software to be uncomfortable. I don't want Pierogi to start being called GNU/Pierogi, even though I currently license it under the GPL. Until Linus Torvalds himself changes the name of Linux to GNU/Linux, I will continue to call it just Linux.
Yes, but you DO understand what I am talking about, right?
"Linux" is the thing you can get from kernel.org git repo.
Usually most people need some kind of userland too, that includes even people like me

There are plenty of userlands to choose from, and the GNU kind is the one people usually mean when they think they are using "Linux"
It is not the only alternative though, you can use BSD userland on top of Linux. Or Android userland. Some people even roll their own, either picking/combining from existing OS'es or designing completely own.
(and yes, I have even done that...)

Why I am so insistent on this;
Words are important, and we need to fight the erosion of meaning. Think about the word "hacker" for example, wich nowdays is used by the clueless ilk as synonyme for "cracker"

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: