View Single Post
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by bradb
Sorry, I disagree. If I need access to Wells Fargo , what does saving $500 buying a 770 vs a UMPC mean to me? Nothing.

If it doesn't do what I want, it's a waste. It's as easy as that.

Please don't think I'm trashing the 770 - I'm not. But for someone like me, the UMPC makes a lot of sense.

Part of my job involves supporting an application that runs under windows (as well as HP/UX, AIX, Solaris, and RH/AS). For the most part, the 770 allows me to sit in a dive bar and answer e-mail and do my job with a cigarette in one hand and a microbew beer in the other, connected by my bluetooth EDGE phone while I type on a bluetooth keyboard... and that is amazing. And yes, I do have three hands.

But sometimes I need to run a windows application - how will buying the 770 help someone in that situation? Why is the UMPC so bad?

Price is important, but you need to look at need first... no matter how cheap it is, if it doesn't do what you need, it's not money saved.

Notice I said need, not want. That's a whole other issue.

The cynical might even say the UMPC will do more on the day of release than the 770 can do a year later... (but again, what do you really need?)

Just trying to inject a bit of reality.

Brad.
I think you missed what Odin was saying. You are trying to compare the 770 to a UMPC, which is an unfair comparison. Yes functionality and interoperability are important factors, and a 770 might not be right for you because of your needs. But it is unrealistic to expect a $300 device to have the same functionality as a $800 device.the 770 was never intended as a replacement for shrunk down windows PCs.