View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by engelsted View Post
Now, I've skimmed the source code and there is definitely something written to support Bang & Olufsen equipment, so what's the holdup?
Man, B&O strives to make the life of a universal IR control coder hard. There are a handful of popular ways to encode data in IR out there; protocols by NEC and by Philips tend to be the most popular, and most folks who don't use their protocols verbatim tend to mimic many of the techniques used by those two.

B&O, though, they've come up with their own protocol, from the ground up. Most folks go with a standard binary value system -- one value for "0", another for "1". B&O adds a third "same as last bit sent" value, which is kind of a pain to code for (and, honestly, what's the point?). IR remotes use a "carrier frequency" (quickly pulsing the IR LED) to distinguish the signal from other sources of infrared light in the local area; almost all protocols use a frequency somewhere between 30 and 50 kHZ. B&O decided they want to use a frequency of 455 kHZ.

Anyway, B&O doesn't just do a few things differently, they're practically unique. So it's been kind of a pain to come up with code that works for them. (Even to find adequate data about how their protocol works; most of the time, I can fill in the blanks for a given protocol by comparing it to similar protocols from other manufacturers...)

But let me give it another try. I'll see if I can knit all the pieces together into a working piece of code this time...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: