View Single Post
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
I wonder why I had a deja vu experience reading and relating this to a certain mobile phone brand Which also, by the way, is connected to Micro$oft...

I personally think that if Micro$oft wouldnt have the market share, amount of small stuff under the hood and couple such good old programs, they would have killed themselves 10-15 years ago. They are living off of the historical success they enjoyed during the dawn and childhood of the computer age. If Linux and iOS would relatively been as good as they are today some 20 years ago... Micro$oft wouldn have stand chance with mistakes they have done. Think not only one, but two huge mistakes in their number one product (Vista and WIN 8) to topp all the small mistakes. Edge for example.

But as in many aspects of life, size matters and they had it enough to weather their mistakes.
Microsoft got lucky. They were chosen as the IBM pc platform and they bought CPM. By having Microsoft own the platform rather than IBM, Microsoft made the money.

Had the Macintosh been clonable then it would have been better able to compete and there would have been a larger market for powerpc hardware which would have kept powerpc from dying and enabled the R&D necessary to compete with Intel. Had Commodore not been poorly managed then the Amiga would have been a real Windows competitor. There were also other potential competitors like BeOS, IBM Aix, HP UX, IBM Os2, Solaris, Atari's Oses and various other competitors that never made it for various reasons.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post: