View Single Post
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Just to temper the excitement here, this doesn't sound like Sony has decided to start selling Sailfish OS on their devices. From what I have read, they have a program called Sony Open Devices Program that allows a developer to create a custom AOSP ROM and to then upload it to one of their devices, presumably not invalidating the warranty and providing some degree of support. It sounds like Jolla have found some way to create such a ROM. I assume you would still be buying your standard Sony phone in the shop with some sort of version of Android installed, and that through some sort of process, you would then reflash it with the custom ROM (ie. Sailfish). Presumably, this installation won't invalidate your warranty, and you would still go to Sony if HW issues existed, but I imagine if issues exist with the OS, you are on your own. Also, people questioning whether Alien Dalvik will be supported? Of course it will.

Not that I am complaining. All I ever wanted was to be able to buy a decent specced phone that wasn't complete garbage, that had support for Android and where things like camera/bluetooth/etc all worked, and that such a device that had some degree of support. This ticks all my boxes.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post: