View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
It's unclear so far.
But, while for existing users and a few interested guys from XDA, that option would work I'm still hoping for Xperia X with sailfish OTB. Because current ways of getting sailfish on non-sailfish device won't attract new users. Ever. Even if the image is perfectly tailored and everything just works.
@kinggo: I would disagree. That's the way I started using SFOS - coming from ported device N4 and now rocking OPX. I have never owned any official device, so I don't know what I am missing in terms of Android support and some others add-ons. Actually, OPX port and the hardware is that good that I am not planning to get Sony yet (N4 hardware was a bit weaker and getting old as well, unfortunately). However, I am happy that Jolla managed to start this effort and even if only the image is downloadable, I would have considered it as good as a version that I get preinstalled by the shop, on the bigger scale of things.

As for why use SFOS: its great to have full Linux stack available. While not in apt-get or emerge world, its still quite usable. If you are used to Android, it takes some time to start appreciating that you could do many things "desktop" way - backup via rsync, ssh in/out, to name few aspects. Curiosity and a wish to have proper Linux was a start for me as well, just give it 1-2 month to properly grow into it. It also helps if you approach with an attitude - if something is missing, I can do my best to develop or fix it.

So, coming back to Sony / Jolla - I think its a great news and great development! Its for sure will expose SFOS to people that are interested in trying something different by giving them at least some supported option. If we only attract developers through this - its a great win already.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: