View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
SFOS was indeed 'sold' as being a proper Linux OS but doesn't feel like that, for me probably due to the lack of 'apt-get' and just being a non hardware keyboard focussed OS. I am certainly going to give it some more time as you suggested. I like playing around with different technologies.
Well apt-get is for debian packages, SFOS uses RPM's which means you just need to use pkcon or zypper to work with it, otherwice the experience is pretty much identical.

I have installed Termux on android and was pretty impressed with the ability to apt-get some of my favourite Linux programs and as far as I know rsync, ssh are available as well.
I suppose there are lots of ways to get better console experience to android devices, however all those are more or less glued-on-top solutions; it is a pain to maintain your setup and you will miss lots of the advantages of the simple GNU/Linux userland.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
In just 3 words; glibc vs. bionic
GPL vs BSD or is there more to it?
There's loads and loads more to it. The whole android userland is a perversion of the real thing. It's a bad joke. You can patch it and add stuff to make working on a terminal better but why bother since the user experience will always be inferior.

On true GNU-userland-having mobile device like SFOS you can really easily do anything you can on a larger desktop machine, anything.

So I guess in theory easier to port existing programs? Emacs seems to be still 24.3 in openrepos (latest version of Emacs is my personal OS litmus test ) . Even my good old N900 has 25.1
Porting just about anything is possible, of course some things are harder than others. I have not looked into emacs but I suppose if one version has been ported it is no-brainer to port a later version.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: