View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Just few words about the latest developments. I have been looking into improving the rendering of the maps. As a part for ensuring quality rendering, I am planning to add Mapnik backend for rendering.

The compilation of Mapnik for SFOS and its packaging is done, at first approximation, for ARM. For i486, I have been held back with what seems to be a bug in SDK and have asked for advice on how to proceed in developers list. When rendering some tiles with a test application on phone, the performance was good as well as the memory consumption. But its early days and would depend on the stylesheet / database layout.

Lots of work is ahead. I have to incorporate Mapnik into the server, design stylesheet together with the database layout. The plan is to use OSM Bright as a starting point (imposm import) and SQLite/Spatialite for data storage. If anyone around is a Mapnik guru, help would be appreciated. At present, I could render Estonia, World map outlines with SQLite database and shapefiles describing the World.

In addition, I am considering to publish OSM Scout Server with Mapnik only via OpenRepos and avoid publishing it in Harbour. That would allow me to distribute following sane Linux model with separate packages for Mapnik and the server. Otherwise I would have to start configuring Mapnik to look for input plugins / fonts in some obscure OSM Scout Server directories. In Harbour, I can publish then the version with libosmscout only, for example. What do you think about such approach?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: