View Single Post
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
In my mind, this project is making a great progress and has an important impact. I am happy that Jolla does not get into distribution of devices. By picking up a device with the global availability, they nor us have to face logistical challenges with getting the devices.

Its also a 64-bit device. I don't know what's the current status of 64-bit devices now among ported devices, but getting SFOS ported to this architecture is a major success and we should not underestimate it. When done, it should open many current devices for all of us through the ports.

I do wonder if the port for Xperia X would be made available as a community port image / sources as well. That would allow for curious user to test SFOS before getting full version of it. If not, porters would probably know or would get help to get SFOS running on X Compact and other variants.

As for the pure ports, if you don't need Android stack, the current main problem is the absence of text prediction (jolla-xt9 is proprietary). So, would be great to get someone to work on it and get open-source solution for text predictions. Port from Ubuntu Touch, for example?

I was curious to find out that its Jolla which is porting Alien Dalvik. I thought that it was a service/product that they were buying in.

As for having to buy extra OS on the phone which came with one - that reminds me of the Windows tax. Don't think that we should blame Jolla for it (I don't remember Debian/RedHat to be cursed for Windows tax either). Let's consider the current solution as the best we can get at present with the global availability of the phones. Its much better than to smuggle phones from India without proper certification.
In my opinion you are spot on in many aspects and there is plenty of info in the blog which is great and a relief to hear.

* The 64bit is huge and will open a lot of doors, but definitely a huge task to undertake.

* The Alien Dalvik is a product by Myriad Group and they dependent on them to fix and follow their changes. Now seems/implied they took the code and they will port it to 64 bit. If this is true it means better integration in the future and better support on the known bugs - to be seen, but for sure huge news.

* An additional business model seems to be getting unfolded (?). It is not clear yet, but my take is that they will give for free the base flashable image to all and then charge for exchange, AD and such through the store.

I saw the Sony model a few days ago and it is a decent phone with a nice form factor. I will be very happy with it.
Also, I don't mind to pay for the OS or parts for it if my privacy is respected.

Overall it is great news for me. I hope they manage to have a good operational version in the next few months for us.

Edit: corrected wrong info that AD is from a Chinese company

Last edited by Saturn; 2017-07-02 at 07:26.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post: