View Single Post
Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
What is all this whining about Windows-only flashing?
First of all, "whining" is a rather provocative term: it is a legitimate concern, triggered by comments made by the person who is in charge of Jolla communications.

A few lines later (https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-.../flash.bat#L67) you will find that flash.bat will reference to Emma if your devices ASOP is < 34.3 which means you are running MM, but SFOS X requires initial Nougat (7.1.1) image. That recent image will be flashed by Emma and can be flashed by (inofficial) Linux-only tools, too.

The requirement is simply spoken to have a current Qualcom baseband and other device blobs in place to run SFOS X as a common base for all official images flashed to the device. Otherwise some might have MM (32.0.x) blobs installed leading to a faulty device with official image.
OK - let's see if I have understood correctly what you mean. You are saying that the purpose of Emma in this process is only to ensure that there are no MM blobs on the target device? It seems to me that this doesn't apply to a device with a locked bootloader and an official Sony build, because in that case MM can be upgraded to Nougat OTA without using any tools at all. In that case, why not make the requirement that the device has a locked bootloader and an official Sony build, fully updated? An unlocked bootloader can be relocked, and anyone who has flashed a non-Sony build is quite capable of reflashing back to a Sony one before relocking.

I am not a real expert here, and I am happy to be corrected if I have got this all wrong, but I am having trouble reconciling what you wrote with the following statements from James Noori:

I will however say that the Emma tool is now officially a requirement for everyone in order to flash their devices. Xperia X is supported by that tool, more on that later.
So for further clarification (and maybe to repeat myself), the current official requirement from Sony is that everyone should use Emma tool in order to flash their devices.
and:

The instructions for the new requirement from Sony to Jolla are brand new.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post: