View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
As said at the time in the Youyota thread when you mentioned putting some sweat (and/or money and/or time) in supporting the Youyota project to help overcoming the difficulties, I was crossing my fingers that it wouldn't be at the cost of the Livermorium phone (feasibility, features, expectations of a timeline).

Now this is sad news to me. I did invest about 300€ in the Youyota tablet, I and I hope I will get it and most of all I hope the Youyota company can overcome the financial issues because I like what they try to achieve (even besides the tablet), but the tablet is a product from the past and even the official Jolla version is barely supported by Jolla or independent application developers. It's a nice project, but can only have a limited impact. The Livermorium could be a game changer but any significant sacrifice to the original plan may hinder its reach.

The delay is a non-issue, we are all impatient but are also all expecting delays. It's frustrating, but as long as we are not talking about many years, the device should sell relatively well among TMO members. The change of target OS, however, is something. And depending on what kind of delays we are talking, I don't think there will be a proper functional Linux alternative for a smartphone when the device is ready to hit the market. Sadly, however I'm sure I will love the hardware, I am afraid I may be out if the phone only comes with an official Android support (or any of its better and more open clones), but I do understand that the vast majority of people who would back the product in a crowdfunding campaign will actually expect something Androidish, so I understand the cut. AlienDalvik is clearly a showstopper (which is sad too, by the way).

Then, again, I did know that none of the things listed in the original plan were set in stone or promises. I know all features can change depending on a variety of constraints, funding, sup[plies, time, or any of the many ways to fail along the long chain from the idea to the mass production. There may be other reasons that already compromised Sailfish as one of the official OSes for this phone at an earlier point, and I would totally understand. However you seemed pretty enthusiastic about this double OS option so far, and now it seems that the Youyota did have a noticeable impact in that decision, which I think can be regretted if it's the major factor.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-02-03 at 07:40.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: