View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
@olf, good point. There was a statement in Fonts module description, but I have added now a separate paragraph stressing it.

Fonts module is needed only if you use Mapnik backend.

Mapbox GL has the same fonts, but they are packaged differently, in Mapbox GL specific glyphs. These you download via OSM Scout Server and, in reality, they are larger than TTF fonts used by Mapnik. However, you probably store Mapbox GL data on SDCard and don't care much about it.

As for altering the messages - I'll take a look. I will link them to the selected profile. Opening an issue for it
Thinking about this - if the fonts module only contains the fonts and no executable code would it maybe make sense to turn it into a data pack that gets auto registered when users download the Mapnik rendering data ? IIRC there are already some global geographic datasets that serve a similar purpose.

This would automate one more thing, reduce number of packages users might need to install manually and possibly eliminate some out of space issues on devices with small rootfs volumes.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: