View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Thinking about this - if the fonts module only contains the fonts and no executable code would it maybe make sense to turn it into a data pack that gets auto registered when users download the Mapnik rendering data ? IIRC there are already some global geographic datasets that serve a similar purpose.

This would automate one more thing, reduce number of packages users might need to install manually and possibly eliminate some out of space issues on devices with small rootfs volumes.
It depends on how we look into it.

These are Noto fonts which maybe attractive option for some other app to display full international characters set. If such interest will happen, we can repackage them accordingly.

Next, any investment of time into Mapnik maybe not so wise in long term. modRana is probably the only client which is using it and I would expect that, at some point, it will also switch to Mapbox GL. Which will leave us with the backend that nobody is using anymore. Use of the server on Linux is non-existent (probably only myself) and I don't see much reason for users to stick with Mapnik if suddenly all devices support Mapbox GL.

Moving over the data package is not trivial - not very difficult, but still would take time. It seems to me that this time can be spent better on other aspects of the map applications.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: