View Single Post
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
This may seen a bit off topic at start but:

It would be very fun to see some more Rust based apps on librem5. I love this new safe language. It seems alot of C/C++ developers out there finally found a new language they likes. Rust has grown very fast 2018. Finally we have a safe low level language that can compete with C/C++! No shitty garbage collectors like Java. Rust is strictly typing but possibility to go "unsafe" when you really must. The compiler helps you code in correct direction. And no need for external static code analyze tools like codesonar since the compiler has it built in. You may hate the compiler at the beginning but after at week you learn to love the Rust. Whoops way off topic now lets go back to Librem:

The thing is: There already is Rust bindings for QML, but also Gtk, the one I have tried is https://github.com/woboq/qmetaobject-rs. When/if I port sailserver to librem I will for sure write backend in Rust instead of C++. It is way easier and fun make a tinywebserver in C++ using already written framework such as actix-web. It can be really cool indeed since you may add your own templates and so on.

There is also a pure UI toolkit for Rust. Now this is probably less bloated than Gtk/Qt maybe also less resource hungry (but limited): OrbTk, written in Rust used by a new "Unix based" OS Redox. OrbTk also works on Linux and Librem5 since OrbTk uses SDL.

Also I remember I saw a utube clip with someone working on a experimental Wayland compositor written in Rust.

Now RedoxOS would be epic to see on Librem5. However I heard the guy behind Redox is working at system76 maybe they also work on a phone

Anyway so much new cool stuff to learn 2019

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2018-12-30 at 17:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: