Thread: Necuno Mobile
View Single Post
Just found out as well through their newsletter!
The Necunos NC_1 is for sale now right here.

It boosts the following specs:
  • Chipset: ARM® Cortex®-A9 NXP i.MX6
  • CPU: Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9
  • Memory: 1GB
  • Storage: 8GB
  • Battery: 3500 mAh
  • GPU: Vivante (Etnaviv with hardware acceleration)
  • Display: 5.0"
  • Body: Aluminium
  • Camera: 5 MP 1.4"

Like Purism, they claim:
  • Operating Systems: Multiple community driven operating systems to choose from.
  • Closed source firmware with memory access: NO
  • Binary blobs: NO
  • Locked bootloader: NO

Furthermore, interesting to note is the operating systems that you can choose from when ordering:
  • No operating system
  • Plasma Mobile on Debian
  • Plasma Mobile on postmarketOS
  • Maemo Leste
  • Nemo Mobile
  • LuneOS

I know for a fact that Plasma Mobile is nowhere near finished (would hesitantly call it in alpha state at the time of writing), Maemo Leste still has a way to go and Nemo Mobile... Was that ever finished? LuneOS I'm not sure of, does anyone know? Seeing this list I can only assume Necunos is aiming this phone at developers.

Personally, I think their asking price of €1199 is quite high, especially considering the CPU is "only" a NXP i.MX6. Purisms offer of $600 (less than half) including a NXP i.MX8 and hardware switches to turn various hardware components on/off seems the better deal.

Still though, kudos for them pulling it off so fast and quietly Really curious to read the first reviews when they pop up.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post: