View Single Post
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I recall using WAP gateways back in the 90s and early/mid 2000s for my candybar phone, Handspring Visor, and Zaurus.
I would be surprised to find a way to process, lets say pre-digest a complicated website faithfully enough to do all of the government and commerce stuff we want; or even just visit a mainstream or pop news site get the crappy 30cm of NoScript links I need to click to authorize.
but there simply has to be a way to clean up or make a formatted static page proxy we could have running on an r-pi or other server we jack into an ADSL line or hosted virtual instance of Debian or favorite flavor.
The web is borken not the N900; I would love to help build an easy r-pi and downloadable OS image as well as a setup to give us the adapter we need to get back the full function of our N900, form youtube, to torrents, to web browsing; the tools are there but we need to move the work off of our phone if we can to fix the bloat.
Realistically I should be able to use a TI-83 and a serial to BT adapter with maybe an attiny to convert the logic to surf the web, but web devs got lazy and bloat everything by offloading to dozens of outside links to render a site perfectly for your screen to the point where we need to chew that crap til it takes 8 cores at 4ghz and a late model GPU to just view the modern web at normal speed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: