View Single Post
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Klein/Spring, Texas, USA
Thanks for all the replies! After having repeatedly trying to get the flasher tool to connect to my N9 by unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable, the flasher finally recognized my N9! I then was able to charge the battery past 10% using the flasher tool. After that, I let it charge for another 15 minutes or so and then I plugged it into a wall charger.

I thought I had fixed the problem with my phone, but, when I turned it on, it would only boot up with the Nokia logo in the center ( with no animation ) and a USB charging symbol towards the upper right. Then, I started getting that warning screen again. I then used the Ubiboot rescue kernel to export the N9's filesystems and that worked ( I'm on a Linux box ) but it looks like there may be some hardware level corruption in the eMMC's flash ( link to Ubiboot dmesg log file -- too long to include here ) :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yyk6fy...mesg-log-5.zip

With the Ubiboot rescue kernel I was able to export the 3 partitions on my N9 as /dev/sdg1, /dev/sdg2 and /dev/sdg3 :

Code:
$sudo lsblk
sdg                                                                   
├─sdg1
│    vfat   Nokia N9                                        
├─sdg2
│    ext4de rootfs                
└─sdg3
     ext4
The strange thing is the partition/device that has the "ext4de" fs type, which I found out later stands for "ext4dev" which was ext4's fs type during its development. I ran parted on /dev/sdg but it couldn't detect the sdg2 "ext4de" rootfs partition. The vfat "Nokia N9" partition looks to be intact and as does the sdg3 partition which
holds a lost+found directory and the "user" directory. I have been unable to mount the "ext4de" rootfs partition as I get strange errors such as "stale file handle" when I try.

After having exported the eMMC partitions via the Ubiboot rescue kernel, I tried to use dd to suck all the data ( while disregarding blocks with errors ) off of the 64GiB eMMC, but, the Ubiboot kernel, apparently, doesn't run the battery charging code so my backup operation failed at about 6GiB because the phone's battery got drained again. I'm wondering if the Nokia N9 rescue initrd and kernel have the same problem. If so, then I'll have to buy a used, say, Nokia Lumia 800 ( which one can get pretty cheap ), disassemble it and use it to charge my Nokia N9's battery.

My device info is :

Code:
$ sudo flasher -i
flasher 3.12.1 (Oct  5 2011) Harmattan
WARNING: This tool is intended for professional use only. Using it may result
in permanently damaging your device or losing the warranty.

Suitable USB interface (bootloader/phonet) not found, waiting...
USB device found at bus 001, device address 039.
Device identifier: 351669051318639 (SN: N/A)
Found device RM-696, hardware revision 1601
NOLO version 2.3.6
Version of 'sw-release': DFL61_HARMATTAN_40.2012.21-3.454.6_PR_454
Success
Anyways, I think if there are bad blocks on my device's eMMC, there aren't many, and I may be able to recover almost everything, possibly by using ddrescue and Testdisk. First, though, thanks to everyone for pointing out the MALF problem Possibly stupid question, but where is the MALF file located and do I just delete it when I find it? If it's on the rootfs partition, then, I might be screwed because there seems to be a problem with that partition and I don't know how to mount it.

Thanks,

jdb2

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdb2 For This Useful Post: