View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
No, again these are my own preferences and I don't claim that they should be generic, especially (1). I do believe (3) is generally bad, however, since an operating system should not become a worldwide standard. I believe it should rather remain a way to access to the information and services and interact with them, instead of the other way around with everything being specifically tailored to fit a unique monopolistic system. Imagine using computers with no web browser because standard Internet would not exist anymore, everything would just progressively transition to specific applications that run only on Mac (if you are a Linux or Windows user), or reciprocally. Not looking forward to such "revolution".

Don't get me wrong, I am glad there are alternatives that actually try to degoogle the Google beast from its bad sides, but I regret that they still are tamed chimeras of the original beast, sharing some DNA and looking mostly the same. And Google is not going to help maintaining them either, they'll make it more difficult to fill the gap with the original just like they did in the past. Therefore, as long as there will be real alternatives like Leste or Sailfish, I'll stay on this side. When I truly have no choice anymore, I'll go for the tamed versions of the Google creature and I'll be even happier that they exist. Yet, I am afraid that they would act like vaccines on me, i.e., sanitized versions of the virus that my body would forever learn to reject anyway because they still look pathogenic. Again, this is my own impression, and I am absolutely 100% positive about vaccines (a shame that we have to make it clear nowadays).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: