View Single Post
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
On Topic: 3 latest engineering devices has been dispatched yesterday and all on their ways to the devs for SFOS.

Off topic:
Always enjoying reading pichlo's stories. A joy on TMO really...

Getting "independent" personally is way harder than before. Was in a new spot today with a SFOS device and realised without Google Maps POI it was very hard to look for nearby lunch places. I don't like the feeling of my life completely depending on a particular service. So I went to the nearest Cafe. (And I decide not to put MicroG even, it's against the purpose of the OS)

Guess if one is deep into those so called "eco-system", or whoever only experienced modern monopoly services, will be impossible (or too lazy) to leave...
Thanks for all your efforts.

My 2 cents:

For most folks that are concerned about avoiding ads, having security and privacy, there are probably lots of Android apps that have various levels of encryption or filtering. For example, I use a hacked version of Youtube that shows no ads. Purism/Librem 5 is stongly emphasizing these features. Surprised that not more folks are on that bandwagon. On the otherhand, I also worry that, in legitimate cases, having access to a phones data can be important, for example, in criminal investigations. Where do you draw the line between privacy and saftey of public?

Last edited by mscion; 2019-05-17 at 20:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: