View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I installed it using "./ubu-install.sh chromium-browser" from SFOS. This creates a .desktop file with a custom script and shows up in the SFOS homescreen. Starting from this icon starts Chromium without xfce, which is visually nicer because you gain screen real estate.

However, starting Chromium in xfce has other advantages: xfce settings are applied, including xkb with working dead keys, and DPI adjusted to your liking to set the UI scale.

The scale of Chromium without xfce is good for me so I like using it as a separate app using the Chromium .desktop file, like the screenshots above, but so far I have not managed to make dead keys work outside xfce, so I use xfce too. It does not look that bad after configuring it a bit, and the cover in SFOS is an actual thumbnail of the content, meaning it shows the browser if the browser is visible in xfce4. Therefore, except for the panels and different DPI (and multitasking ability within Ubuntu of course), it is almost the same as separate Chromium window:

[Edit] Also, for advanced keyboard navigation, Vimium can be an interesting extension. Not sure I want it though, my simpler keybindings are probably enough for a device with a touch screen easy to reach.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-12-26 at 14:45.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: