View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Pentona View Post
Tarhakäärme is another name for rantakäärme, usually easy to recognise from the yellow marks at the neck. While adders can have a varying colouring with a clear zigzag pattern to completely black. They can also often be seen swimming.
The third one is kangaskäärme, who only live in Ahvenanmaa/Åland, not in mainland Finland.
And some might think that vaskitsa or copper snake (slowworm) is a snake because it looks like one, but it's a lizard without legs.
Thanks for correcting me!

I mis-remembered the Kangaskäärme, mainly as it is so rare and does not live on mainland at all. Now as I checked it, indeed Rantakäärme used to be called Tarhakäärme but in fact they are the same species.

Really nice article in wikipedia I ran across, in the olden times in Finland people used to have tame snakes of the Tarhakäärme variety on farms, to keep the rodents away. They were fed and cared for and even lived in animal shelters and inside farmhouses!
translation of the article

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: