View Single Post
Posts: 1,703 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Went to a two days trip with ny kids who missed the summer holiday because of the deadline I was given to finish my car. In the hotel room here was a tablet. Was. We are still here but the tablet isn't. I tried the tablet and it launched a default launcher for hotel guests but could not connect to wifi. And I wasn't able to get to wifi settings.

I was annoyed. First I started to tap the screen untill I managed to see a flash of the normal desktop. So it's there. Then I rebooted the machine and tapped the screen again and got to a point that it possibly concluded there is an error and let me choose the launcher. i chose the normal view and got in to the normal desktop. Wen't to settings and noticed that the developer mode is on and also installing software from unknown sources.

At this point the wifi started to work. It connected to a private wifi. It was a security providers wifi and even if I closed the wifi it put the wifi on again and connected to it. So I tapped all the connections and tapped "forget" and the device stopped putting the wifi on.

After this started to check the settings more. Administrator settings. Find my device is on. Not anymore. But there was this one app (which I assume was the security providers app) that I could not put off. But I had been able to do enough.

In this room there is a tablet with developer mode on and possibly it has programs from untrusted sources, because I got access to almost everything. And it had the bluetooth and wifi on when we came to the room. And it did not work as supposed when I first tried the device. So I took the device to the reception and told that this device has bad security problems and I do not know what programs have been installed on it and don't want to have it in my room. I also wrote to a piece of paper the problems I had found. That was yesterday.

This morning went for a morning coffee and cigarrette outside the hotel. When I went out the were two eastern european guys outside. When I got out the other guy went a bit further to smoke his cigarrette but the other guy with a backpack came to stand like 1,5m from me. I thought he was about to ask for a cigarrette but he just stood there while I drank the coffee and smoked. Then he went to his friend and they both started to look the guys phone. Aaargh. Skimmer! The guys shooked their head, watched me and left.

I was first alert that now I got skimmed and I have this my daughter's old unsecure Honor 9 lite android in use. But - I have always bluetooth off, I have wifi off, I had also turned mobile data off for the night, I have no paying apps, I have set the firefox as the default browser and set it to delete everything when closed so there should be not too much to be found from my device.

But I got my wallet in my pocket! Remembered I asked for and got a bank a card without the wireless option, so no paying without the pin should take place. Or yes, I think there still is this less than 25 or 50 eur buys accepted without the pin. So there is a possibility that they will get some money. But I believe bank has some sort of alert if they notice unnatural money traffic from my account.

To know makes life more interesting, but it also makes you paranoid.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2021-02-23 at 07:55.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: