View Single Post
I do wish that Nokia had thought of a product name that led to a better acronym, btw...

Anyway. As I understand - based on nothing but googling - the situation on security is this:

- There are such things as linux software keyloggers, and in theory any app you install on your Nit could install one? App's aren't run in a sandbox mode, or secured in any other way?

- There's no firewall software for the Nit, so a keylogger wouldn't have a problem getting your paypal password and whatever other details it could steal out to the world once it had them?

- There's no sign of this or anything like this ever having happened? although it seems to be much on the mind of Nokia's legal dept, judging from the warnings about non-Nokia sw App Mgr provides

- Virus and logger attacks on Linux systems are extremely rare in the wild (possibly because Linux systems are assumed to be competently firewalled? which, of course, the Nit's aren't, and can't be)

In summary, security seems to be based on "We hope no one ever bothers to attack." Which may well be the case, and will probably work given the (regrettably) low profile the platform has, but it still means that I won't be using the thing to access my regular mail accounts, but only the backups I keep for accessing on hotel machines, etc.

Anyway, *if* the above is true, then my biggest wish for OS2009 is a firewall.

(I remember seeing a Nokia site with advice on security on the Tablets, but every time I've clicked it, it failed to work.)