View Single Post
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
If you can write a game that can generate a million downloads, then you can probably do quite well on adware. 1000-50,000 are more realistic.

Anyway, leaving this aside, you're still wrong: the security tools on decently configured PC's will pickup a naughty application being naughty in the first few days. After which the app will be removed from download sites, before it has time to spread.
The big download sites, maybe. Not all of the download sites. And as I specifically mentioned the non-decently configured PCs, it being picked up is a moot point (actually not a moot point, but what people accept as being a moot point, which is in fact the opposite!).

You might say that the app could wait six months to build decent user numbers before doing naughty things, but a lot of people delete this things every couple of weeks or so.
indeed they do.

Which is why the world economy isn't collapsing because of $50M videogame thefts, in case you were wondering. In the real world, investing serious effort in a free game would probably only yield a few hundred successful attacks.
That sounds pretty good to me. Write a few games then, rather than one.

You seem to be implying that maemo tools are poor? I can't comment.
I don't think I implied that. Maemo tools are linux tools, they are ok. They are not as good as some, but better than they used to be. Just things tend to be harder to write under linux than, say, the pocketPC.
Maemo tools have come on leaps and bounds in the last year from what I can see.

So you're basing your personal security on Nokia's continued lack of success? I think the strategy will probably work, but as I said, personally I'd find it undignified.
No, I am basing my personal security on the law of probabilities. Compared to using a windows machine on the network I am orders of magnitude safer. Statistically, all the time I am using the nokia, I am not using a PC, therefore my safety is increasing. Note, my views on software firewalls are the same on PCs, they are better than nothing, but they aren't foolproof. They are certainly the first thing switched off by almost all successful viruses.

Its like anything. Yes, I could get blown up in a tube train by terrorists (or in my case in the UK, shot by the police thinking I was a terrorist) but it really isn't worth putting any effort worrying about because I am thousands of times more likely to be hit by a truck driver on the motorway who fell asleep.

When I connect to my bank I have a hardware encrypted password generator, supplied by my bank. They can log every detail of my bank transaction, but without that hardware dongle it won't do any good.

The rest of it? It doesn't work like you seem to think. it works by a low hanging fruit idea. However clever and complicated your scheme making this nokia key logger, your profits will always be dwarfed by those who put their effort into getting people to enter their passwords on your website by offering them money for nothing, claiming to be their bank or a request from ebay/paypal. A large number of people are fairly clueless, and that isn't going to change.
It is much easier, and it works.

I am going to carry on using my nokia without a firewall and I am not going to lose any sleep over it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tabletrat For This Useful Post: