View Single Post
No I have not used the Dlink. But I have read nothing but good reviews of it. I almost bought one last year but begged off. One of the things I dislike about the Dlink you mention is the need for the external pwoer suply. The Linksys had a fold away and built-in power plug. Not sure if it is better but it would have been one less thing to tote around.

Just a fast question, are you intending to use some sort of mobile broadband or just jacking the router into? If so you might look at a couple of the routers from Cradlepoint. Specifically the CTR350 and the PHS300. I have the CTR350 it does not have the built-in battery as the PHS300 has but as I recall it can work as a router connected to your DSL/Cable modem as the RJ45 port can go both ways. It auto senses if it's setup to work as a LAN port or as a WAN connection to the broadband device. It has the added ability to offer the ability to use either HSDPA or EVDORevA mobile broadband via a USB MBB modem.

I have my setup with an external battery pack and when mobile I just carry everything around in a waist pack by Tom Bihn. I can keep my N800 in my pocket and just pull it out and viola I am online almost anywhere I travel.

Also, the Cradlepoint routers can both work as a personal/portable hotspot so you can actually share the connection or create a local WLAN on the device. I am fairly impressed with the firmware and functionality of the darned thing. And it's about the size of a deck of cards and weighs less.

If you are interest I have a couple pics and a simple diagram I made to show the setup.

Oh, before I decided to switch to MBB I just could not make up my mind between the Dlink or the Linksys. I am not sure but there was a 3rd pocket/travel router I found too but for the life of me I cannot recall the name/brand.

Last, I have a pretty fair deal via a company that re-sells MBB over the Sprint/Alltel EVDO network. No contract and they throw in a Franklin 680 EVDO USB modem. Also, the deal is truly unlimited data service. I use around 50gb/mo as a rule with I connect to the laptop "on the road" so to speak. It's just $50/mo (might be$60/mo now though) with no long term contract. Another option is the Sprint SERO program where you can actually get a great deal for something like $30/mo but do need to buy a modem plus, oh, heck I forget the other drawback I saw. But either way ya go is a good deal. I prefer to pay more per month for the ability to opt out if I either don't use it as much as I expected or something better comes along, like, I dunno, WiMax?

The Following User Says Thank You to brecklundin For This Useful Post: