View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
It was almost obvious that the closed application thought was canola,
right.
I believe it is one of the most successful applications for itt. I do not see reason it could not be on maemo.org
being successful doesn't justify being closed. i dont see the point of offering the infrastructure of a platform like maemo.org to those who could well do without. maemo.org isn't all for free. it eats resources. someone pays for it. the point is that those who contribute to all the small open projects there would never be able to keep an infrastructure close to what maemo.org provides up and running, they depend on it.

i don't see why we should be offering this infrastructure to the closed projects. they chose not to be part of the community, they chose to play their own game, so why offer them free beer at the party?
benny, a closed source project cannot take anything from the community by just being on maemo.org They can make use of some products of the community (like using open source library) but they will do it regardless of being on maemo or not.
They can take: technical resources, public attention, work of community members, etc.

If there were two projects on maemo.org, skype and some new open voip client, I wouldn't want skype to take away one minute of time any community member invests in feedback/bug reports/... from the other, competing, free project. Closed projects have the resources anyway. They pay people to do what open projects need to achieve through community work. Letting them enter a platform that is, in fact, the only one where free and open maemo development takes place means having them enter a direct competition over the community resources there with the projects that need those resources much more. I'm afraid this could turn out bad for some free projects in the end.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: