View Single Post
I don't work on my portable devices (Except for the occasional SSH connection into work). Instead they're there to deal with my insatiable net addiction and desire to play Nethack on the train

I've owned all three Nokia tablets. I found the 770 far too slow, the 800 good but needing a keyboard and I currently own a 810 which while still having a long way to go (It's still slower than it should be and needs a better UI) is one of the most useful devices I own and it gets use almost every day as an internet access point.

I don't live and work in a big city so wifi is normally out of the question. I get my net access using a BTDUN connection to my phone. Something I has also happily able to do when I bought my first Eee PC. I love the concept of the Eee. I don't need a full sized laptop. All I ever wanted was something really small and lightweight. It didn't have to be a powerhouse. So I bought an Eee. It gets used but in different places to my N810. If I'm in a shop and want to check a review I'm not going to get out my Eee. I'm going to reach into my shirt pocket and make with the Nokia. If I'm sat on the railway station with an hour to wait for the train the Eee is a bit more comfortable.

The Eee 701 I owned had problems though. The 7 inch 800x480 screen was just too small for any real use. The resolution in particular just feels very, very cramped. So yesterday my new Eee 900 arrived. 8.9 inch screen running at 1024x600. I'm no longer having to figure out ways to maximize real estate.

What I'm trying to say in my rambling way is that if you can afford it (And these devices aren't hugely expensive to the sort of person who can afford the data plan anyway ) then there's no real need to pick sides. The netbook and internet tablet market is set to explode over the next year. There'll be plenty of choice and it'll be very interesting indeed to see which direction Nokia take their tablets now they'll be seeing competition from the likes of Asus with the Eee.