View Single Post
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
Can iPhone replace NIT? For me no. I much more prefer cheap, disposable phone + NIT than expensive all-in-one device.
I'm not quite there... because the NIT can't fully control the phone, which means I can't use the N810's keyboard to send SMS messages. And I hate T9 for general messaging, so standard phone keypads aren't something I generally want to use for messaging. And the N810 doesn't run all of the PIM stuff a good phone has, nor does it sync with your desktop, the way a good phone does.

What I _should_ be able to do is:

Have a decent Nokia 3G handset, use it as a network interface for my N810 (without interrupting voice calls nor SMS). Use the handset, or a bluetooth headset, OR the N810 (via SIP or bluetooth, I don't care which), to make calls via the handset's voice interface. Use the handset or the N810 to send/receive SMS and MMS messages via the handset's SMS/MMS interfaces. And have all of the software that's on the handset be mirrored by equivalent software on the N810 (including sync'ing software, PIM software, etc.), that integrates with all of the N810's infrastructure.

In essence, touching the handset, for any purpose other than plugging it in to recharge it, should be optional. The N810 should be capable of being my user interface for everything in my personal-area-network. Including my phone.

I'd settle, though, for having a version of the Cradlepoint router firmware (or a device just like it) that runs an internal SIP server to connect SIP phones to the attached device's voice interface. And, it should run an internal Jabber server for similarly interacting with the device's SMS interface. Then I can just use the SIP, Jabber, and Wifi capabilities of the N810 as the user interface for the Cradlepoint that is shoved in my bag/backpack.

Of course, if someone ports an openssh client and a vnc client to the HTC Dream and otherwise moves it in step with other mobile linux phone offerings (motorola's linux phone platform, openmoko, maemo, etc.), and maybe hacks it to open up the linux layers (which I'm sure will happen), then I don't see why I wouldn't just use that one device alone. Especially if I can use it with T-Mobile-USA 3G.