View Single Post
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I can easily extract the contents of both rootfs.jffs2 and initfs.jffs2 on my desktop PC
How exactly you did it?

but how do I combine them to get a running system?
You don't need to. BTW title of this thread is misleading, something like "How to extract jffs2 directly to mmc card" would be better.

First I thought you need to combine them to make flashable FIASCO image.

First I thought rootfs.jffs2 would be enough, but it isnt.
Yes, it should be enough. If not, you are doing something wrong when extracting jffs2.

It would be so cool to just copy whatever version of ITOS to MMC without going through the "flash-copy to MMC-reflash original"-hassle. I'd even consider OS2005 just for the fun of it - I can't remeber what it looked like at all.
It is not possible in general. Only rootfs is on SD/MMC card, kernel, initfs not => you cannot boot systems that use different kernel and initfs (like OS2007 vs 8 on N8x0, OS2005 vs 6 on 770).

As for extracting rootfs from FIASCO image and then extracting jffs2 to MMC on the fly directly on the tablet, it is possible but complicated. You need 0xFFFF flasher for extraction FIASCO and block2mtd kernel driver (+dependencies) for mounting jffs2 image.

Here is my simple (=it may not work for you) script for mounting jffs2 on linux PC
Code:
if [ `id -u` != 0 ] ; then
    echo "run this as root"
    exit
fi
if [ $# -lt 2 ] ; then
    echo $0 image.jffs2 directory
    exit
fi
LOOPDEV=`losetup -f`
losetup $LOOPDEV $1
modprobe block2mtd block2mtd=$LOOPDEV,131072
modprobe jffs2
modprobe mtdblock
sleep 1
[ -d $2 ] || mkdir $2
mount -t jffs2 -o ro /dev/mtdblock0 $2

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-06-16 at 10:23. Reason: "directly on the tablet" added for clarity, it is not so hard on linux PC

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post: