View Single Post
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'll PM you my e-mail, but I'll offer you a barter solution. You can help me, or pay me, or pay me half and help me a bit... whatever you want.

I really need an experienced shell scripter's help getting my easy debian chroot package put together. I'm really close, but it needs a bit of spit-and-polish before it is ready to be released to the "masses".

Like your KDE package, my package uses a big image file that is mounted by a script. I need to make the initial post-download untarring as easy as possible, with as little use of the command line as possible. I also want to make the postinst and chroot scripts as fool-resistant as possible.

I want newbies to be able to run OpenOffice, AbiWord, and FireFox with Java. My ultimate goal is to let non-guru-types install anything their hearts desire and play around with it. You want to try out Evolution because you've got an Exchange server you just have to have access to? Or you would love to do some batch image processing with ImageMagick but you don't want to hunt all over the 'net for the Maemo packages? Just fire up Synaptic, install the packages, and go!

So the help I need:
  • Really easy-to-use, newbie-oriented script(s) to untar the image file to a specified place, catching and dealing with problems (no bzip2 package installed? maybe "apt-get install bzip2" for the user and try again)
  • Clean up the chroot script, make it more flexible and problem-resistant (check to see if the chroot is already mounted, etc)
  • Optionally, get the right mouse click mapped to the + HW key using this hack

I have a KDE installer package that is a deb and perfect for this. I was gonna ask johnx if he wanted me to do this already. I can tar up my directory for the built deb and give this to you. My deb downloads the BIG tarball using wget and is restartable if the network connection is lost. It then uses md5sum to verify before installing. I would bzip and tar inside the install package, I dont like unmet dependencies

As for the other stuff I would be happy to take a look
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post: