View Single Post
As for me, TI is an amazing company. Sadly, this is BAD amazement. They called OMAP 'open', first O in OMAP means exactly this. However, no, Luke, you can't have datasheet. And yes, it is a top secret how this CPU boots up. And it is top secret which peripherial set it has and how to control all this. Really 'open' CPU. Huh. Ti has nice view on what "open" means, probably that was sort of sarcasm from them. And TI is AFAIK pretty mad in features licensing so you can have a bunch of hardware which can crush the mountains but actually for you it is just a dead metal. Yeah, there is 3D, yeah, there is video decoding accelerator... and no, YOU can't use them. I know that in OMAP2 they're far from perfect and OMAP3 is slightly improved these but some acceleration still better than nothing. To be honest it is shame that Nokia's media players are slow as a jerk out of the box (and even Mplayer beats 'em to the hell).

Btw, I wonder why Nokia sticks to such nasty and restrictive vendor even if this really hurts device features set and performance. There is lots of other vendors whose CPUs are not so restrictive. For example, Nvidia recently unveiled amazing SoC, running powerful ARM11 core (up to 800 MHz IIRC), decent 3D accelerator, video decoding acselerator (so, you can get HD-quality video decoded in realtime) and so on. And probably Nvidia slightly less restrictive since they have to fight for a market with their SoC. As for me, I'm preferring to see Nxxx Next Gen on another hardware so it can be a really NEXT generation in features set, not a past year's snow being sold as cool modern ice-cream.

Last edited by PowerUser; 2008-07-18 at 04:41.