View Single Post
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
There were 3 releases of OS2006: mistral, scirocco and gregale. One-click install file supports gregale because that is what most 770 users supposedly should be running among all OS2006 variants. Does anybody have a good suggestion about how to support all the OS2006 flavours, preferably without investing significant efforts into it?

You still can use application manager to install software, just make sure that you are using repositories compatible with your firmware. For example, mplayer is still available in mistral extras repository, but it is frozen at mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.18 version: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...ree/m/mplayer/

HE versions would not help here as mplayer is not packaged for HE versions on 770, only the latest OS2006 release is supported.

Might it be a good idea to investigate this bluetooth issue to check if it is fixable in the latest OS2006 release?
Thanks a zillion, Serge! The most recent version from that repository installed smoothly and plays actually almost better than the one on my N800.

I have no intention of upgrading my trusted old 770 because "It Just Works" <TM>. I don't do complicated things with it, merely reading books and -- now again, thanks to you -- watching old videoclips. I've encoded a few oldies movies (12 Angry Men, Stalag 17, Maltese Falcon -- you get the idea) on it, they don't take up huge amounts of space, as even low bitrates give more than acceptable results.

Now to find some old jazz and my retro machine is complete. If I could find a way to put analog bakelyte knobs on it and maybe give the screen a bulge and some flicker, it would so be a fifties steampunk analog. (in fact, the "pearly" backlight of the 770's screen is a bit retro in its own right)