View Single Post
I got USB Networking for the N800 functioning so that I can use appropriate adapters (listed below) to connect the Nokia to an RJ45 wall jack at my neighborhood library and can access the internet via that connection. Of course the library has high-speed internet which I can also use for access via wi-fi on the N800. At my home I connect through the USB Networking adapters to my home network hub. The Nokia’s Connection Manager indicates a valid connection. The appropriate LEDs on the the network hub and the USB-to-Ethernet adapter are illuminated. However, when I attempt to access dial-up internet from the N800, the effort fails. I expect that I need to get the WinXP network to recognize the N800 and allow it access to dial-up, but I don’t know how to accomplish this final step.

Stskeeps: To set up USB Networking, I worked through the appropriate information on the Maemo Wiki in User Documentation. Here is a link to an important page: http://wiki.maemo.org/USB_networking. I’m not sure if I’ve answered your questions. Let me know if you have more.

Fatalsaint: Do you know that someone has actually used a wireless network card with dial-up on a WinXP PC and a Nokia N800? If it works, this sounds like a relatively inexpensive option. Of course I’d want to avoid any security risk. Thanks for your response.

USB to Ethernet Viewcon VE091 (RTL8150L chip)……….Amazon (about $15.00 delivered)
N800-USB-360-OTG USB-F to USB-5pin-mini-male-B Adapter…….Electronic Products Online (about $16.00 delivered)