View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, so here it is. Some of you were asking me to show how I got Easy Debian LXDE to replace the OS2008 desktop.

So, I've written a script, made a menu icon, and made a .deb file.

By installing the attached .deb, you will be able to use your Easy Debian LXDE desktop as a replacement for your OS2008 desktop.

With some very minor modifications, this should allow you to use any Debian desktop as a replacement for your OS2008 desktop.

Once you've installed the .deb, edit the /home/user/.maemo-menu file to your own liking. Put the maemo apps that you like in this menu. Remember, this is your primary access to the "outside world" of maemo; don't close this menu, or you will be entirely inside the Debian chroot "jail".

Logging out of LXDE returns you to OS2008.

Version 0.2: Shutting down more maemo services makes Debian apps noticeably more responsive.

Known "bugs":
  • The hildon stylus keyboard is weird; it pops up in the middle of the screen, instead of the bottom.
  • There's an app in the taskbar called "systemui root" or some such thing. As far as I know, it can't be removed.
  • You only seem to have one virtual desktop available in LXDE.
  • 9menu, the little menu program I use for the maemo app launcher, is fairly lame. Feel free to suggest a better one!

Here's a link to the current .deb:

switch-lxde-0.1.0-1_armel.deb
switch-lxde-0.2.0-1_armel.deb

I will keep this updated, no matter how long the thread gets.

NOTE THIS ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE A WORKING INSTALL OF EASY DEBIAN.

Post problems with the .deb and I'll fix and update.

Here's two screenshots:

A Pile of Maemo Apps in LXDE. The default maemo menu can be seen in the lower left corner.

Maemo Mapper running in LXDE. Note the "SystemUI root" on the task bar on the right side.

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-09 at 05:23. Reason: Version 0.2.0

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: