View Single Post
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Surely the steps remain the same, even if the kernel etc. are changing? Then it's just a matter of wgetting the appropriate parts before unpacking them etc.

If NITdroid's not ready for the masses yet, I won't bother investigating the installation wizard (or hell, even a script).

The advantage of a script - even on a Linux computer - is there's less chance of error and it makes support easier as you know how people have installed things. Certainly, if a user isn't paying attention in the steps above - and they use a SCSI or SATA drive - they could end up repartitioning one of their existing disks, rather than the SD card.

Similarly, it could detect the sizes and suggest partioning schemes etc.
The steps should remain the same, but a script would be quite easy to write. The only problem, as you said, is if they use a SCSI or SATA drive. The script would have to account for that. That's actually why I added the dmesg step, because the latest drive would show up at the bottom. Good ideas, though-- I like it.

EDIT: It's not that it isn't ready for the masses-- it runs quite well (with a couple exceptions), but you need to be careful when flashing and such.

Last edited by jakemaheu; 2008-12-22 at 20:10.