Thread: xscreensaver
View Single Post
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by qole View Post
(preface: this isn't a slam against you, qwerty12, you're excellent in every way )

Funny! This installed as part of Ubuntu LXDE for me, and while some of the effects are nice (I like the waterdrops) I was thinking as I disabled it, "What a silly thing to ever put on a tablet!" Screensavers haven't been useful for their primary purpose ("saving" your screen) since LCDs replaced CRTs on most people's desktops. They can be useful for locking your station (that's what my office uses xscreensaver for), but on a tablet, the whole concept runs counter to the philosophy of the tablets, which is all about saving power by killing the screen and the cpu whenever possible.

I haven't been able to get acmonitor to work for me for the last two SSUs. But if you could get it working again, perhaps you could modify the concept for me so that I could run a user-selected app when plugged into AC. So rather than fancy effects or silly fortunes, I'd like to see a flip clock or a slide show or maybe a slide show with a clock in the corner... something useful, anyway.

I'm more about the effects if I'm being honest, I think it's kinda cool to be watching SpeedMine if you're not doing nothing and your tablet is there :P .

I'm actually running acmonitor on the latest SSU atm, but I don't think you'd call my method user selectable...
(I added system() calls to run a script that starts/kills xscreensaver to where it detects if the charger is plugged in or on battery...)