View Single Post
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I couldn't find any discussion of how the GPS on the N800 or N810 compares with dedicated GPS units (apart from lock-in time).

Has anybody had experience with both?

There are cheap bluetooth units for the N800 (about $20) now, but there are also refurbished dedicated GPS units going for $79 or so. Anybody know how good the NITs are versus cheap (and also pricier) dedicated GPS systems?

Has anybody used the Tablets for GPS in the wilderness (or as a "hiking" or "handheld" gps, like, for example, the Garmin eTrex) as well as on roads as a "dashboard" unit?
(The N800 doesn't have a GPS. There is a kit for the N800; this comes with all kind of useful accessoires including an external/dedicated GPS.)

N810 internal GPS is a PoS. Do not buy the N810 for its GPS chipset.

An external/dedicated GPS unit is very cheap, some are small as well and those with Sirf-III/MTK chipset provide a quick lock (1 minute) and accurate (by second; sometimes even better).

Some smartphones have a good GPS which (on S60) you can export using ExtGPS hence allowing the Nokia tablet to use this GPS while using Nokia tablet for the software.

That is not to say smartphones don't have good navigation software; theres tons of choices, really (Garmin, TomTom, Wayfinder, Nokia Maps, ...). I'm evaluating one called McGriver right now. S60 also has an application called Sports Tracker and Step Counter which are useful for GPS, statistics, and such. For Maemo, there is Ecoach. My S60 smartphone is smaller in every aspect (and has internal GPS) so a bit easier to travel with. OTOH, this smartphone doesn't have touch screen. I'm still evaluating my choice, but I tend to lean towards non-touch because touching while jogging isn't as easy as pushing some buttons. Nevermind using the stylus. In a bus or train this is also sometimes an issue.

So in the end, I'd say it also depends on the money you wish to spend, and the software you require.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: