Thread: Symbiam S60??
View Single Post
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I have a few points of contentions with your post. First, I believe you missed the mark concerning app availability; sure there are more applications available for Symbian than Maemo (well, I didn't click the link, but I believe you), but that is only because of 1 reason. No, not because getting applications on a tablet is inherently difficult, or developers find it too hard to make applications in the first place, or anything else. It is because Symbian has reached more people and thus more developers.

Nope, no contention there. Symbian is much more widely used (mainstream), so there are more apps developed for it. We agree on that.

Don't bring the mountain to the man (Symbian to the tablets), bring the man to the mountain (tablets to the world).

Your first statement nullifies this one. "Symbian has more developers...and there are more applications available for Symbian". So surely it will be easier (more cost effective) to port S60 to Tablets than to port all the Symbian apps to Maemo?

Second contention: Installing apps on Maemo is difficult; click on an application in the Application Manager and click Install.

A lot of apps in Maemo are like that, and thats good. But let me pick a couple of examples of apps i've dealt with in S60 and Maemo.

Screen rotation. Rotateme in S60. Install, done. Rotate in Maemo. Go into X-Term, gain root admin access, then either type in a script (or copy and paste if you know how), make sure you are connected to the internet first and try see if it downloads from a website.

Maps. Install GarminXT, Route66, Tomtom, in S60. Install, add packaged map, Done. Maps/Maemo Mapper/Navit in Maemo. Install app, THEN start to get into finding and changing XML files (Garmin maps for instance) and trying to figure out and create maps from maptiling software.

Just because Maemo allows you to hack your system doesn't mean you have to.

Not being too contentious i hope!