View Single Post
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
About Symbian, why would they when there is no consumer products shipping that OS on such hardware?
Im my mind Nokia have endless possibility and endless resource and I have no idea how many man-hours would necessary for a port (I suppose beside the arm processor a tablet is a completely different beast, I was probably confused by the N97 and all the voices like a possible Maemo device).
N-Gage is an API in its own, running on top of Symbian. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Gage_...hnical_details
ok, so having symbian is automagically having, hardware limitation apart, NGage . Get it
I wonder how many tablet users would replace Maemo by Symbian in order to get Ovi services. The natural way to bring Ovi support to the tablets is to bring Ovi support to Maemo.
I probably tend to consider a good 80% of user tablet an advanced user (probably Im spoiled having spent time on ITT but I bet the percentage of people downloading the flasher is higher than other Nokia products...) and the re-flashing procedure is great (I suppose Nokia experience in the field is gigantic).
From the user point of view (MY point of view obviously) would be just another option that allow access the Ovi services, music shop and Ngage (at least the old) library. And I just imagine how well could look the Symbian logo on the tablet box...

How great is a hardware development platform that has no equivalent in consumers hands. And why for a Symbian/S60 developer a tablet would be a better hardware to use than the current S60 top sellers.
Again my rantles came from my experience: I have no budget for any S60 (just for playing at the 'little developer game') and a sort of SDK running on Nokia controlled hardware is sure appealing for a cheap developer wannabe (like me or indian or chinese, I have no idea how much Nokia ask for their phones there) and since Im mainly a graphic person just having a touch screen with comparable screen dimension seem a way better intermediary 'step' than a normal pc-based sdk (and easier to install and with a fixed speed parameters) and would give a definitive 'personality' to the tablet. I lurked the S60 comunity a bit and I deeply envy the HUGE user base compared to the tablet (I suppose is matter of order of magnitude ).
+ even like a plain consumer device a Symbian OS could still appeal me but yes last barcelona's phones really overlap all the actual tablets killer features (gps, radio, keyboard, processing power, memory, wifi, audio quality). The screen and the speakers are probably still better than any phone around and is just impossible beat the flexibility.
So I can't see any reason why Nokia should not spend a couple of milions of euro to make his user happy.

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito